Saturday, November 24, 2007

Thanksgiving in China.

Last night we wandered over to Jose and Edlin's to enjoy our Turkey day one day late and a half world away. As Tina mentioned, we were requested to make our nachos again. Edlin ordered a Turkey from the hotel, and she made meatloaf, potatoes, cake, eggnog, and flan. The Mexican brought his family and brought beer, oh and noodles.


It did seem odd to have our North American neighbors of Canada and Mexico celebrating our American holiday, and also strange, albeit only to me, to be doing Thanksgiving with a Puerto Rican spin on it. Edlin also invited one of the hotel managers and their Chinese teacher to the dinner, it was truly a fun night with excellent food and good friends.


Being in China, our conversation quickly turned to bathroom talk, and we discussed how we all know the closest western style toilet depending on the area of the island you are at. We did learn that the Pizza hut bay the Carrefour just redid their bathroom with a western toilet. Yes, this is what is important information over here....

A little later in the evening Jose pulls out Edlin's Nintendo Wii, and then the party really got going. The kids played some bowling, tennis, and baseball, while Edlin tried to explain to us that it really is a workout and tiring if you play for a while.


Eventually Jose and Edlin stepped up and showed us how they vent frustration by playing the boxing game against each other.

Jose and Edlin boxing with the Wii

Tina and I boxed each other, she fights dirty, but end the end I was declared the winner. Edlin wasn't lying, it is incredibly tiring to go three rounds in a boxing match, and although the winner, I was sweating and tired. From there we decided that we didn't want to fight, so we went bowling...

Bowling, picking up the spare...

It's fairly realistic, today my wrist hurts from bowling.... I think it's the spin I put on the ball. The spin didn't help, as Tina still easily beat me. Jose also had the higher end baseball that was unbelievable, and somewhere in the evening Tina and I decided that we may have to purchase one of these for ourselves.

3 comments:

Lisa Wilson said...

My son got the WII last year and it really is tiring to play and very entertaining for the adults too. Tina I bet I could kick your butt at boxing!!! LOL!!
They are pretty hard to get still but let me know if you want me to start looking for one for you guys over here. Or are they less expensive over there? Have fun oh and Mark I love your form when bowling!!!

Mark said...

Yeah, Tina thought that it was too perfect a picture not to share with all of you. Edlin suggested that we bowl from thier bedroom so we could actually do a full run up as it was tough to do when against the couch. We think we will buy the system here, it costs about the same but they are unlocked so you can play games that are released anywhere in the world...

Anonymous said...

Up until 4 days ago we would not have known what you were talking about. . . Wii. What is it???
The games were explained to us. . and without that explanation from a patient waiting to see my chiroprator. . . I wouldn't have had a clue as to why you decided to bowl, or box, if front of a TV screen.
Mark, remember bowling when you were young. . . even with a broken shoulder? I'm sure you did much better with Wii, despite the form!