Friday, January 25, 2008

Sometimes you just have to trust people..

Last night we headed out to one of our favorite places to dine called Xin Shan Tong as Mark had colleagues from the U.S. visiting China for a few days. It's the shrimp place we love to go to minus the fishing.

Mark had called earlier to see if I could just hop in a taxi and meet them. No problem, he would call when they were close to the restaurant. Finding a taxi was about as difficult as finding one in New York at 5pm. It wasn't going to happen. As I was about to give up, a young man in a very nice car pulled up saying that he was a taxi and asked if I needed a lift. Interesting I thought he didn't have a taxi sign on his car. Oh well, I thought what the heck, I can't find one and he seems nice enough so I hopped in. Now as unusual as this may sound to you back home, it's common practice to see strangers picking up strangers to give them rides here in Xiamen. Off we go and head to the restaurant except he has no idea where this is, so I called Rocky who explained to him where the restaurant was located. He practiced his English and I practiced my Chinese. He told me how pretty I was, and I thought great with my luck he's going to kidnap me or something. Nope he just wanted to practice his English. We eventually got there and as I paid him for the ride, he gave me his business card.

2 comments:

Aiglee said...

wow Tina, for me that would be against my survival instincts xD I'm glad to know everything went well at the end :)

Gabby Girl said...

I had a friend who hopped into a so called taxi in Beijing and got ripped off like you wouldn't believe. He charged her hundreds of yuan. People in Xiamen are nicer, though. I might have done the same thing if I couldn't find a taxi.