Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Finally Understood

After climbing Wat Arun, Mark and I headed towards the Grand Place to continue exploring Bangkok. Ah, but after the hike up those 90 degree steps, a rest was warranted before we continued our exploration of Bangkok. We stop at this little store/restaurant close to the Grand Palace.

We were enjoying our beers when we heard this young lady repeating the word,ma . Naturally curiosity took over and we looked over to see what she was trying to say to the two older women sitting next to her. They started to giggle and she explained that she was Chinese living in Thailand and teaching her mother and aunt some Thai words. I spoke to her in my limited Chinese and lo and behold they all understood me. Even Mark was impressed. Usually when I attempt to speak Chinese in Xiamen, they have this quizzical look on their face as to say, are you trying to speak Chinese or are you speaking English? I explained that I was going to Xiamen University, taking Chinese classes and finding the written language difficult.

Yup, I made new friends. Mom and aunt asked if they could get their picture with me before they continued sightseeing Bangkok. It's nice to know that if English fails when communicating, you can try to use Chinese and chances are someone will understand you.

2 comments:

Christine said...

Hello Tina,
It doesn't seem you made it to the buffet at the Hilton... I regretted I did not mention the unbelievable selection of cheeses, in addition to the "foie gras" and "crepe suzette" I mentioned to you... seems like you had a good time in Bangkok though!

Anonymous said...

You go girl!

-Em