Wednesday, June 4, 2008

China helping the Environment

Effective June 01, the Chinese government has decreed that no more free plastic bags. According to one newspaper, The Chinese use over 3 billion plastic bags per day, that's right, 3 billion. That's a lot of plastic bags floating around on the ground.


The government recognizes the need to save energy and the environment, and of course many have an opinion on that, but we like it. According to the Economic Times, "the country, which consumes 37 million barrels of crude oil each year to manufacture more than one trillion plastic bags, is following in the footsteps of countries such as Ireland, Rwanda and Bangladesh."

One can still get them for your groceries if you pay for it. Today, I needed a bag, as I had left my trusty one at home. The charge, .5 RMB, not much, however, many people have started to carry their own cute little canvas bags and some are complaining that the costs are too high.


I will remember to take my little bag with me.

No comments: