Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Taijiquan

As of last week, I finally finished the entire taijiquan sequence that began back in August of 2007. Yes, it's been quite a long learning experience and I'm glad that I am able to learn from someone who truly is a 师傅 (master).

Though I still continue practicing each day and working with Yang, we are now breaking the movements down, so that I start learning more the theory and understand the history, and the mental part of doing Taiji. All in the name of channeling your qi, and ensuring correct balance when doing the movements. Unlike Yang style (which is actually a later version of Chen and more popular) there are movements that are explosive as this style is used for martial arts and requires a lot of balance.

I suspect this will be harder than learning the actual movements. Next up...swords. Now, that should be fun!

No comments: