Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The little wins in life

Do you remember when you were a kid and your parents always uttered those famous words.."respect your elders?" Yea, sometimes it's a little difficult to do that here in China, especially when these little old women want to cut in front of you. It happens just about once a day, be it in the stores, or trying to get on a bus, grabbing a taxi, you name it someone is usually cutting in front of you, and generally it's an older person. Go figure. At times comical, today annoying.

Today, I wanted some vegetables to make a salad. Picked up a nice balsamic vinegar and olive oil from this little store that Edlin recommended. I decided that a nice salad would do for lunch. Off I go to the market. I was next in line to get my vegetables, waiting for the person in front of me to finish weighing his fruits. This little old woman of about 65 tried her hardest to walk around everyone and cut in front of me from the other side. Ah.. but I knew what was coming and with lightning speed, I plopped my greens on the scale, and then the tomatoes,onions, peas, and cucumber. She conceded defeat and then gave me the look that says, hey you can't blame me for trying. No, no I can't.

No comments: