Sunday, December 9, 2007

It's about time...

We've been in Xiamen for almost 5 months now, and we've adjusted a lot and grown more and more accustomed to doing things the Chinese way, but there are still some things that we haven't gotten around to. Some of those are things that you should never put off for too long.

Case in point, putting off getting a haircut. I had my haircut in Chicago the last weekend that we were there, and hadn't gotten back around to getting it cut again. I knew that it needed it, Tina also made a point of letting me know that it was getting long. There's been several time that I was going to get it cut, but somehow it would always take back burner to other activities, such a shopping for cheese...

Finally I decided, or I guess we decided, that enough was enough. If I didn't bother to put any gel into my hair to try and hold it in place, it exploded into a big old afro...
So today our main goal was to get me a haircut. There are tons of salons all over the place, but we have read stories and talked to people here and those haircuts run more than one hour, usually at least an hour and a half. You go in, get your hair washed, scalp massaged, hair cut, washed again, and then finally styled. We didn't want to do that, especially since I'm used to the $15 hair cuts in Chicago where they try to get you seated, cut, and out the door in 15 minutes.

We have also seen really small, one chair in a 4'x6' room small, barbers while wandering the back alleys, that is what we went looking for today.
We found the perfect place, three chairs and a good size, with a few people in there getting haircuts. We went in, I pointed to the mop on my head, everybody laughed and I sat down. Twenty minutes later I'm paying 8 for my haircut, that's $1.08.

Yep according to Tina, I'm all sexy again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

VERY NICE!

Even your mom recognizes you now.