Monday, December 10, 2007

It's nice to see respect isn't outdated...

I had to write about this because when I was back in Chicago commuting on the brown line or travelling on the Clark bus, rarely did you see this happen. I can recall one time on the brown line, due to some stations being closed, the "El" was slower than molasses, and the trains were packed like sardines, so it was quite common to wait for the next train hoping that the cars had more space. There was a young woman who was pregnant and looked like she was going to have the baby at any moment. I was sitting by the window at the back watching the scene unfold or should I say not unfold. I kept looking at the young people sitting down and for three stops no one bothered to offer this gal a seat. The occupants who by the way were all young women and men chose to ignore her. I finally got her attention and nodded to her to come over and sit. As I stood up, a guy about 30 wanted the seat before I told him that the seat was for the gal who was pregnant.

What did that story have to do with today's blog?

This morning while on the bus going to university, I noticed a very strange phenomenon, not seen back home on a frequent basis. This happens most of the time here and thought I would share this with you. Each time an elderly person would board, the younger person relinquish their seats for them. This didn't just happen once or twice, each time someone older would board the person who was younger would give their seat to that person. In fact at one point, there were three people trying to give up their seats to the elderly and you couldn't tell which one was the older person.

How refreshing!

1 comment:

Christine said...

Hey Tina,
Looks like France in my childhood. (I posted another comment on your blog talking about fog).
Have a great day!
Christine